Development Journal #1
Sep. - Oct. 2017
Initiate e-waste research
How to investigate the topic 'e-waste' for my artwork?
To begin with, I started extensive research about e-waste and artistic practices related to this subject.
Oct. 2017 -
I posted on a local facebook group that I' m looking for e-waste.
Luckily, someone who lives in the city center contacted me that he wants to give away his e-waste. So I got two full boxes of e-waste from him.
I got lots of random e-waste from wires and computer parts to broken smartphones and digital cameras.
In the meantime, my colleagues also brought me e-waste whenever they found it somewhere.
From time to time, I could pick up several e-waste such as broken computer parts in the trash can or random places around my college.
A colleague of mine gave me a bunch of old floppy disks she found at her parents' house.
What kind of e-waste in my collection?
- computer keyboard
- hard disk
- computer fan
- dvd/cd rom
- boiler component
- ethernet adapter
- floppy disk (133mm)
- floppy disk (90mm)
- air conditional component
- computer mouse
- remote controller
- dc/ac adapter
- digital camera
- unknown circuit board and so on
How do they look?
- Most parts are broken and dead.
- Some stuff can still work (completely or unstably) - e.g., power adapter, wires, computer fans
- Lots of dust on them.
- Broken parts are very sharp.
- Components assembled and glued with chemicals, so without covers, I can feel its toxicity by smell and touch.
- So many small components are glued and soldered on each circuit board.
- Composed of lots of metals.
- Also with plastics (its container and covers)
Several recognizable components on the circuit board:
LED, resistor, capacitor, chip, battery, camera lens, motor, button, switch, diode, socket for cables, etc.
Tinkering with e-waste
I started to tinker with the materials (e-waste).
Idea : Short lifespan of electronics
- newly born and thrown away
- The AI and new robot, new digital devices come out on markets continually; however, as much of old electronics are abandoned as a result.
- An outdated robot composed of e-waste, which is the future of new AI robot.
The Future, Outdated
An installation composed of electronic waste came out as a result. It was exhibited at Orbit Fest, in December 2017.